The Bachelor of Arts in Music Industry Leadership and Innovation program gives music business students a foundation in design thinking and strategic leadership within the music business and prepares them to identify new opportunities, develop innovative solutions to solve problems, and better meet the needs of both creatives and consumers.
A Music Business Major for Non-Musicians
With no audition or instrument proficiency required, the program provides access and opportunity for non-musicians/performers to pursue a career in the music industry.
Berklee College of Music’s Bachelor of Arts in Music Industry Leadership and Innovation is a radical shift from traditional music business programs. With a foundation in design thinking and strategic leadership, the program prepares students to identify new opportunities, develop innovative solutions to solve problems, and better meet the needs of both creatives and consumers.
With no audition or instrument proficiency required, the program provides access and opportunity for non-musicians (or non-performers) to pursue a career in the music industry.
Designed to create the thought leaders and innovators of tomorrow, this program has the largest concentration of music business courses of any other program on the market.
Graduates can pursue careers in innovation, digital strategy, emerging technologies, and business development. They can also pursue more conventional music industry opportunities in artist management, music marketing, record label operations, music publishing, copyright administration, concerts and touring, and more.
What Will I Learn?
Upon successful completion of this program, students will:
- define, describe, and discuss music industry terminology, core concepts, and the role of each of its key players;
- identify current and new sources of income for artists and organizations within the music industry, and describe how money flows through the system;
- apply knowledge of intellectual property law, contract law, and standard practices to critically assess the most common contracts used in the music industry;
- apply a systematic approach to creative thinking and problem-solving, which can be used to develop new and innovative solutions to music industry challenges and inefficiencies;
- apply methods to effectively generate, prototype, and test new ideas, thus creating real, tangible solutions;
- gain a deep understanding of customer needs, and then apply methods to transform those insights into human-centered solutions;
- lead teams and organizations to develop a vision and culture that will enable them to anticipate and adapt to legal, technological, political, economic, or sociological changes in the music industry; and
- collect and interpret relevant data to improve decision-making, profitability, and organizational effectiveness.
This program is for exceptional students who aspire to be leaders in the music industry. Students who are interested in this program will apply directly to the B.A. There is no audition required. For more information, please see the undergraduate admissions page.
Curriculum and Courses
There are 120 credits total required for this degree, which includes:
- Innovation Mindsets and Methodologies (16 credits)
- Music Business (22 credits)
- Practicum (3 credits)
- Specialization (9 credits; choose from the following):
- Marketing and Product Development
- Licensing and Administration
- Emerging Technologies
- Liberal Arts (42 credits)
- General Electives (28 credits; does not include any performance classes or music core)
Berklee's First B.A.
Listen to Tonya Butler, chair of the Music Business/Management Department, and R. Michael Hendrix, global director of design at IDEO, introduce the new Bachelor of Arts degree and how it equips students with the design-thinking skills needed to be leaders in today's industry.
Berklee Announces Bachelor of Arts in Music Industry Leadership and Innovation Program for Fall 2022
Getting an Edge