The conducting minor is an organized program of courses for students interested in conducting. The minor in conducting will consist of 12 credit hours, including core courses in conducting, orchestration, and specialized advanced electives, as well as opportunities for individual instruction (Directed Study in Conducting). Students will decide on one of three tracks: contemporary conducting, music education, or choral conducting.
The contemporary conducting track provides the broadest, overall preparation for both instrumental and choral conductors. The techniques presented will provide the general principals for use for the concert stage, recording studio, scoring stage (film), orchestra pit (Broadway shows) and other situations.
Students will have the opportunity for experience in dealing with the diversity of musicians in mixed ensembles, such as classical, jazz, and rock, as well as musicians in other stylistic genres. Repertoire in this track will be representative of these many diverse areas. Students in this track will take specific conducting classes as well as additional studies in style analysis and orchestration.
- analyze and transcribe music scores in a variety of styles for a variety of ensembles (e.g. chamber orchestra, chorus);
- demonstrate the ability to prepare a score for rehearsal;
- demonstrate the ability to rehearse musicians in preparation for a public performance or recording session;
- conduct public performances and recording sessions;
- synthesize and apply knowledge of repertory in developing concert programs; and
- synthesize and apply knowledge of orchestration techniques to score preparation, rehearsal, and performance.
- COND-211: Conducting 1 or COND-216: Conducting 1 with Live Keyboard Ensemble (1 credit)
- COND-212: Conducting 2 or COND-217: Conducting 2 with Live Keyboard Ensemble (1 credit)
- COND-498: Directed Study in Conducting (1 credits)
- MLAN-311: Analysis of Classical and Romantic Music (2 credits)
Required Orchestration Course (choose one from the following)
- CM-231: Instrumentation and Score Preparation (2 credits)
- CM-341: Scoring for Strings (2 credits)
- CW-445: Contemporary Orchestration (2 credits)
- FS-340: Dramatic Orchestration for Film (2 credits)
Elective Courses (choose two from the following)
- COND-221: Choral Conducting for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-222: Instrumental Conducting for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-311: Advanced Conducting Seminar with Live Orchestra (2 credits)
- COND-321: Choral Rehearsal Techniques for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-322: Instrumental Rehearsal Techniques for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-351: Advanced Conductor's Workshop with Live Keyboard Ensemble (2 credits)
- COND-355: Conducting Small Ensembles (2 credits)
- COND-361: Conducting for Film and TV Production (2 credits)
- COND-421: Advanced Rehearsal Techniques (2 credits)
Seven courses required for completion of the minor.