The conducting minor is an organized program of courses for students interested in conducting. The minor in conducting will consists of core courses in conducting, orchestration, and specialized advanced electives, as well as opportunities for individual instruction (Directed Study in Conducting). Students will decide on one of three tracks: contemporary conducting, music education, or choral conducting.
The choral conducting track is focused specifically for students who are more interested in choral conducting rather than instrumental conducting.
Repertoire studied will focus on the choral literature through all major style periods. Techniques specific to vocal conducting such as vocal warm-up, concert planning for choruses, accompanying, and choral voicing will be presented. Students will learn conducting both accompanied as well as a cappella choruses. Students in this track will take specific conducting classes as well as additional studies in style analysis and choral composition.
Upon completion of a minor in conducting: choral track, students will:
- analyze and transcribe music scores in a variety of styles for a variety of ensembles (e.g., chamber orchestra, chorus);
- demonstrate the ability to prepare a score for rehearsal;
- demonstrate the ability to rehearse vocal ensembles of varying size;
- conduct public performances and recording sessions of vocal ensembles;
- develop concert programs commensurate with the skill level, size, and composition of a vocal ensemble; and
- synthesize and apply knowledge of orchestration techniques to score preparation, rehearsal, and performance.
Required Courses (7 credits):
- COND-211: Conducting 1 or COND-216: Conducting 1 with Live Keyboard Ensemble (1 credit)
- COND-212: Conducting 2 or COND-217: Conducting 2 with Live Keyboard Ensemble (1 credit)
- COND-221: Choral Conducting for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- CM-351: Choral Composition (2 credits)
- COND-498: Directed Study in Conducting (1 credits)
Elective Courses (choose one of the following; 2 credits):
- COND-311: Advanced Conducting Seminar with Live Orchestra (2 credits)
- COND-321: Choral Rehearsal Techniques for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-322: Instrumental Rehearsal Techniques for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-355: Conducting Small Ensembles (2 credits)
- COND-421: Advanced Rehearsal Techniques (2 credits)
Six courses (9 credits) required for completion of the minor