The conducting minor is an organized program of courses for students interested in conducting. The minor in conducting will consist of 12 credit hours, including core courses in conducting, orchestration, and specialized advanced electives, as well as opportunities for individual instruction (Directed Study in Conducting). Students will decide on one of three tracks: contemporary conducting, music education, or choral conducting.
The music education track is focused specifically for students who plan to be music educators as conductors of secondary school concert bands, orchestras, and choruses. Many of the courses will be taken through the Music Education Department.
Repertoire studied will be appropriate to secondary school levels. Students will learn the accepted international standard of grading literature by difficulty in order to prepare future teachers appropriate repertoire selection. Specific conducting techniques in preparing young musicians in ensembles such as preparation, rehearsal etiquette, stage presence, and sectional and private practice routines, etc. will be addressed. Students in this track will take specific conducting classes as well as additional studies in instrumentation and scoring for strings.
- analyze and transcribe music scores in a variety of styles for a variety of ensembles (e.g., chamber orchestra, chorus);
- demonstrate the ability to prepare a score for rehearsal;
- demonstrate the ability to rehearse common secondary school ensembles (e.g., wind ensemble, jazz ensemble, chorus, marching band);
- conduct public performances and recording sessions;
- develop concert programs of appropriate difficulty for secondary school students;
- synthesize and apply knowledge of orchestration techniques to score preparation, rehearsal, and performance; and
- teach concert etiquette, rehearsal technique (individual and sectional), and other performance skills to secondary school students.
- COND-221: Choral Conducting for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-222: Instrumental Conducting for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-321: Choral Rehearsal Techniques for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
- COND-322: Instrumental Rehearsal Techniques for Music Education Majors (2 credits)
Six courses are required for completion of the minor.