The Master of Arts Degree
BerkleeNYC’s Master of Arts in Creative Media and Technology program offers a forward-looking curriculum designed to teach students the tools and strategies needed to thrive in artistic fields that have seen significant disruption, and will continue to change and evolve at a rapid pace.
The core curriculum of this program provides students with foundational knowledge for their careers that address both the business and creative sides of the performing arts.
Specializing in Live Experience Design
The live experience design specialization explores a forward-thinking approach to the design, management, and execution of live productions spanning music and the arts to corporate and sporting events. Students receive training in performance technologies including sound design, lighting design, projection mapping, LED panel technology, stage design and management, computer-aided design, and video production, all supported by experiential opportunities.
Students in the live experience design specialization gain expertise in the most in-demand, up-to-date design techniques in the live events industries, from multichannel sound installations, live electronic performance, and playback engineering to digital video, lighting, and projection-mapping systems.
We seek a varied group of motivated, creative and focused candidates with solid academic and professional backgrounds who can contribute a diversity of experience, insight, and skills that will benefit and elevate the program.
Ideal candidates want to:
- gain a comprehensive understanding of the elements of modern staging, production, and curated experiences;
- integrate collaborative models of ideation and execution into existing creative workflows;
- develop their technical facility, creative voice, and artistic persona; and
- influence the future of the industry and lead with bold creative voices as visionaries and entrepreneurs.
Ideal candidates should demonstrate:
- current creative activity;
- prior academic success;
- an understanding of current trends and best practices in artistically driven live event technology; and
- motivation and focus towards advancing their knowledge, artistry, and career.
Upon completion of the live experience design specialization, students will:
- develop production, staging, and collaborative techniques applicable to all varieties of live events;
- demonstrate technical expertise with industry-standard software and hardware such as Resolume Arena, Adobe After Effects, and many others;
- integrate diverse views and experiences into their artistic creations;
- generate artistic content at a high level of technical proficiency and at an objectively professional standard; and
- lead with a spirit of creative entrepreneurship to sustain a career in the arts that is adaptable, is ethically sound, and creates change.
The Master of Arts in Creative Media and Technology program is designed to be completed in one full academic year: consecutive fall, spring, and summer semesters. Students take a total of 30 credits (15 credits of core courses and 15 credits of specialization courses) with an additional optional 1-credit internship upon completion of the program.
First Semester (Fall)
CMAT-510: Design Thinking Methodologies for the Creative Arts (3 credits; core class)
CMAT-515: Entrepreneurship and Business Practices in the Creative Space (3 credits; core class)
CMAT-514: Multi-Channel Sound Design for Live Experience (3 credits)
CMAT-525: Digital Lighting System Design (3 credits)
Second Semester (Spring)
CMAT-610: Innovation and Creativity in Artistic Endeavors (3 credits; core class)
CMAT-614: Electronic Live Performance and Playback Engineering (3 credits)
CMAT-550: Live Video Production for Creative Events (3 credits)
CMAT-650: Advanced Visual Perception and Projection Mapping (3 credits)
Third Semester (Summer)
CMAT-695: Culminating Experience Seminar (6 credits; core class)