Berklee College of Music values the college-level course work you've undertaken at institutions of higher education throughout the world and online, and allows you to apply some of it toward a Berklee degree. You are invited to submit official transcripts from regionally accredited institutions for transfer credit evaluation.
Berklee Online, Berklee's award-winning online extension school, is the most affordable and flexible way to earn academic credit at Berklee College of Music. Many courses taken for credit via Berklee Online transfer into the on-campus undergraduate degree program when they align with your area of study. Any other course taken through Berklee Online may transfer in as a general elective. For more details, please view the latest information regarding Online Course Equivalencies.
Institutions with Credit-Transfer Agreements
Berklee has agreements with a number of educational institutions around the world that make it possible for you to start your path to Berklee closer to home. By taking foundational courses in music and other subjects at one of these schools and doing well, you may transfer credits to Berklee and put yourself on a more affordable path to a Berklee degree. Learn more about credit-transfer agreements.
If you attended an institution that does not have a credit-transfer agreement with Berklee, you may still be able to transfer general elective or liberal arts credits.
You are required to complete at least six credits of liberal arts courses at Berklee in order to graduate, but you may transfer credits you earned in the general elective or liberal arts areas prior to beginning your studies at Berklee. The following rules apply:
- Candidates for the Bachelor of Music degree may transfer up to 24 credits of required liberal arts courses.
- Professional diploma students may transfer up to 12 credits in liberal arts courses toward general elective requirements.
- For a course to transfer as a required Berklee course, the course must have a description comparable to that of a course offered at Berklee.
- All courses accepted for transfer must be successfully completed with a minimum grade of "C" (or 73 percent, or 2.0).
- Once you matriculate and begin your time at Berklee, you can transfer up to three courses (9 credits) as long as you do not exceed the 24-credit maximum (including courses transferred in before matriculation).
- Other than some music history and music business courses, Berklee does not award transfer credits for music courses (unless earned at an institution with a credit-transfer agreement).
- If you feel you have expertise in a music course, you may speak with the relevant department chair at Berklee about the possibility of credit by exam.
Submitting Transfer Credits
- Submit all of your official transcripts to the Office of Admissions before matriculating. Berklee will accept applicable transfer credit for work done prior to matriculation.
- If you are already attending Berklee and have taken courses, post-matriculation, at a regionally based university, have your official transcripts mailed directly to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar evaluates all transfer credit for the college. Following a transfer-credit evaluation, you will receive a transfer equivalency report indicating which courses transferred and how those courses will apply toward graduation.
- Berklee cannot accept a transcript that has been opened or faxed, as these transcripts are not official. A transcript is considered official only if it is sent directly from a college/university to Berklee or is given to you in a sealed and stamped envelope and delivered unopened to Berklee.
- Berklee does not accept grade reports.
- Please see Transfer Credit Services for more in-depth transfer credit policy details.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get my transcript evaluated?
During the application process, you will be asked to submit your official transcripts. If you are admitted to a full-time degree or diploma program, you may request a transfer-credit evaluation from the Admissions Department by emailing email@example.com.
For a list of generally accepted courses, consult Transfer Credit Services.
When will I know if my credits have been accepted?
When appropriate, Berklee will issue you a transfer-credit evaluation upon request. As an admitted Berklee student, you may also view a transfer-credit evaluation from the Office of the Registrar by logging on to my.berklee.edu and clicking on "View Transcript/Transfer Credit Awarded."
Where do I send my transcripts?
Berklee College of Music
Office of Admissions
1140 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215
Office of the Registrar
Boston, MA 02215
Which courses does Berklee not accept?
Berklee does not accept transfer credits for the following courses:
- Music courses, unless they were taken at a school with a credit-transfer agreement (see Music Courses for more information.)
- Computer science
- English as a second language (ESL)
- English courses taken at international institutions where English is not the official language
- Physical education
- Vocational courses (for example, auto mechanics, law, nursing, or optometry)
What are general electives?
General electives are normally elective music courses such as ensembles or instrumental labs; however, liberal arts course work may be used to satisfy a portion of the general elective credit.
What if I have Advanced Placement credit?
Request an official A.P. score report from the College Board. Berklee's College Board code is 3107. Note: Berklee does not accept A.P. credit when reported on another college transcript.
What if I have a transcript from an international institution?
How will my course transfer if my college is not on a semester-hour system?
Berklee operates under a semester-hour system. A conversion must be made when transferring credit from a university using a different system:
- For quarter-hour systems, three quarter-hour credits are equal to two semester-hour credits and 4.5 quarter-hour credits are equal to three semester-hour credits.
- For lecture-hour systems, 30 lecture hours are equal to two semester-hour credits and 45 lecture hours are equal to three semester-hour credits.
See Transfer Credit Services for more details.
How will I know how much longer it will take for me to graduate from Berklee after I have transferred in outside credit?
You can view your transfer credit online at my.berklee.edu (under "Student Services," " View Transcript/Transfer Credit Awarded "). If you still have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the Office of the Registrar.