Women in the Mix Study
The Berklee Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship has partnered with the Recording Academy and Arizona State University to study the roles and realities of women and gender-expansive people working in the American music industry by conducting the Women in the Mix Survey.
The survey will be live through September 20, 2021.
The study builds upon the "Women in the U.S. Music Industry: Obstacles and Opportunities" research conducted by Berklee and Women in Music (WIM) in 2018, which explored the socioeconomic landscape of women in the American music industry. The study was the first of its kind in the U.S.
Follow-Up Study Goals
This new study's goals are as follows:
- Capture a broader and more inclusive representation of gender identity in its respondents
- Understand what improvements have been made for women since the first survey, and identify where continued work is needed for all
- Explore what pathways exist into the industry
- Assess the role of mentorship in the success of women and gender-expansive people within the industry
Why This Survey Is Important
We know how powerful data can be. Much of the data currently available to us that studies these marginalized groups is mined from sources that either assume a certain threshold of success and visibility, or don’t exist in the first place. Our goal is to get the most comprehensive snapshot of where the industry is so that a course can be charted to where it needs to be. In working with the Recording Academy, we hope this study will inform diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives within their organization and throughout the industry.
How You Can Help
- If you identify as a woman or a gender-expansive individual, please take the survey. It will take roughly 15 minutes of your time to complete.
- Share this survey with your community, and ask them to take it. We know the power of personal influence. You can help us gather crucial respondents, which will lead to a more complete representation of the industry.