As immersive technologies like virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and artificial intelligence (AI) become new platforms for the enjoyment and consumption of music, dance, and theater, they also present unprecedented opportunities for creation and audience enjoyment.
Berklee is committed to proactively exploring how these new technologies can transform the creative industries and to developing new programs and initiatives that prepare Berklee graduates to become the artists creating at the forefront of this industry.
Through a collaborative, cross-disciplinary effort by faculty, staff, and students, Berklee is developing infrastructure and curriculum that will inspire and engage the Berklee community while providing opportunities for experimentation, prototyping, and professional development and training.
Below is a brief overview of current and upcoming offerings. Stay tuned as new initiatives and programming are added to the list.
- BerkleeICE's Startup Lab XR class, Startup a New Reality, focused on designing projects in new realities
- A joint Berklee and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) course, Developing Technologies: Music + VR, taught by Ken Zolot at MIT and featuring regular guest Steve Pardo of Harmonix's Rock Band VR team
- Exit Reality VR cubes on campus in the Stan Getz Library, available for use by the Berklee community
- VR/AR gear available for use in the Learning Center
- BerkleeXR Summit for faculty and staff, with gear trials, trainings, and leaders, visiting guest artists and industry expertsfrom VR, AR and emerging technology
- The development of immersive reality programming at Power Station at BerkleeNYC and within the proposed live experience design major
For more information, or to get more involved, contact us.