This minor represents an opportunity for students enrolled in any non–music production and engineering major to develop and refine their skills in recording, mixing, and music production. The minor focuses on both technical and aesthetic considerations of multitrack recording, mixing, and music production with an emphasis on the digital audio workstation (DAW) and the project studio environment.
Given ongoing developments in technology and the music industry, it has become increasingly important for all musicians to become facile with the tools, techniques, and aesthetic sensibilities involved in both recording and production. The recording and production for musicians minor gives all students that opportunity.
Upon completion of a minor in recording and production for musicians, students will:
- critically evaluate audio program material, and make technical and aesthetic decisions based upon those observations;
- gain knowledge and experience sufficient to effectively multitrack record, overdub, edit, and mix both live and electronically produced sources;
- shepherd a creative project from idea inception to final delivery, with emphasis on aesthetic and emotional impact; and
- understand digital audio systems, and develop an ability to apply appropriate tools to the creative task at hand.
Required Core Courses (two courses; 2 credits):
- MP-114: Critical Listening for Musicians (1 credit)
- MP-115: Production Analysis Lab for Musicians (1 credit)
Required Projects Courses (two courses; 4 credits—must be taken in sequence after MP-114 and MP-115):
- MP-205: Recording and Mix Techniques for Musicians (2 credits)
- MP-305: Record Production for Musicians (2 credits)
Electives (two courses; 4 credits):
Choose at least one production elective.
- MP-110: Intro to Music Production and Engineering (2 credits)
- MP-231: Vocal Production and Mixing for Musicians (2 credits)
- MTEC-323: Production and Business of Dance Music (2 credits)
Choose at least one engineering elective.
- MP-113: Accelerated Pro Tools (2 credits)
- MP-231: Vocal Production and Mixing for Musicians (2 credits; if not taken as a production elective)
- MP-310: Sound Reinforcement for Musicians (2 credits)
- MP-351: Microphone Theory and Applications (2 credits)
- MTEC-308: Applications of Loudspeaker Design (2 credits)