The center offers personalized training and education on the use of community music experiences to improve health and wellness outcomes.
Music: A Teacher's Tool
Our current area of focus is Music: A Teacher's Tool, a training program for educators on the use of music-based experiences to support social-emotional development of adolescents and young adults.
Summary of Training and Outcomes
The training has two parts:
- Part I: Music to Build and Connect with Community
Social-emotional health skills targeted: Social awareness and relationship skills
- Part II: Music to Reset and Engage with Community
Social-emotional health skills targeted: Social- and self-awareness and resiliency
Educators are trained to incorporate music activities during the school day to accomplish the following:
- Support the following areas of student social emotional health:
- self- and social-awareness;
- communication skills through nonverbal means;
- self-regulation and coping skills by using music to assist students out of fight/flight stress response;
- identity development; and
- Develop educator health/wellness practices.
This training was amazing and accessible! Such a wonderful session. I am looking forward to part 2!
This training was provided to staff at Esperanza Academy as part of its fall 2022 orientation seminar. A math teacher who attended the program remarked on the efficacy of the training: “We suggested using the 'brain bath tool' as a great way to transition in between recess and class."