- Who We Are
What We Do
- Conversation Series
- Courses and Programs
- Open Music Initiative
- News and Press
- Sights and Sounds
- Get Involved
For media inquiries, please contact Media Relations
Named a “one-woman dynamo” by the Boston Globe, Maria Finkelmeier is a composer, percussionist, educator, and new media artist. As owner of MF Dynamics—an experimental studio creating large-scale performative art works in public spaces and multimedia experiences at art and concert venues—she leads a team of collaborators in designing and producing work that is narrative driven and socially responsive.
Empowered by sonic exploration, her projects have been staged and installed in unexpected spaces, such as Fenway Park’s Green Monster; the Treehotel in Harads, Sweden; Boston Center for the Arts’ historic Cyclorama; the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University; Boston’s Hatch Memorial Shell; Cincinnati’s Roebling Bridge; the Goethe-Institut; and Frost Ice Bar. Whether it’s scoring for conceptual art films, creating dance beats out of sourced audio samples from everyday urban life, or serving as both director and performer in multisensory productions, her work continually transcends both genre and medium.
Finkelmeier’s cutting-edge work has been supported and acknowledged by the Boston Foundation, CODAworx, Boston Design Week, New England Foundation for the Arts, Massachusetts Cultural Council, Foundation for Contemporary Arts, and the Brother Thomas Fellowship. It has also been featured in the Boston Globe, National Parks Magazine, Boston Magazine, and Vulture, and on WGBH, WBUR, CBS Boston, and Cincinnati Public Radio.
- Founded MF Dynamics in 2020
- Music + Projection art installation featured on GBH's Open Studio with Jared Bowen in 2021
- Released first NFT Collection in 2022
- Played with Yo-Yo Ma and the Silkroad Ensemble in 2017
- Created "Waking the Monster," activating Fenway Park as a percussion instrument and projection canvas in 2015
- Toured with the Baltic Sea Philharmonic under the baton of Kristjan Järvi in 2010–2014
- Finalist, Massachusetts Cultural Council Fellowship in Composition, 2021
- Finalist, City of Boston Mayor’s Arts and Cultural Fellowship, 2019
- Boston’s Best “Creative Catalyst,” The Improper Bostonian, 2018
- Brother Thomas Fellowship, the Boston Foundation, 2018
- Emerging Artist Award: Music, St. Botolph Club Foundation, 2015
- M.M., Eastman School of Music, percussion performance and literature, arts leadership certificate and performer’s certificate, 2009
- B.M., the Ohio State University, percussion performance, 2007
"Entrepreneurs take full risk in their work every day—as do our students at Berklee. We make new sounds, create new movements, share new narratives, and build new communities. We take full risk and responsibility to make art come to life. The creative practice is deeply connected to the entrepreneurial mindset, and I hope that students feel empowered and ready to push the industry forward with their ideas and perspectives."