Fingerstyle guitarist Brooks Robertson doesn't need much more than two thumbs, eight fingers and six strings on a wooden box to carry his listeners away. He merges hauntingly beautiful compositions, country rhythms, and jazzy harmonies with funky licks into his own art form, sometimes delivered with a punch, sometimes with a smile.
The protégé of fingerstyle guitar legend Buster B. Jones, Robertson began playing high-profile concerts and festivals early on in his career, such as the Nokie Edwards Festival, NAMM Show, Musikmesse, Montreal Jazz Festival, the National Folk Festival, and Irish Guitar Festival, among hundreds of others. He has traveled extensively across the United States, Canada, Germany, Ireland, and France to perform.
A full-tuition scholarship recipient, he graduated with honors in 2018 from Berklee in Boston with a Bachelor of Music in professional music, focusing on contemporary writing and production, music business, and the theory of jazz and popular music. Although deeply rooted in the powerful tradition of the genre, founded by the likes of Merle Travis, Jerry Reed, Tommy Emmanuel, Thom Bresh, and Buster B. Jones, Robertson also draws inspiration from the elegant mastery of the legendary Chet Atkins, Lenny Breau, and other phenomenal players.
In addition to an extensive solo performance career, he has taught master classes, workshops, private lessons, and online courses for TrueFire, and has been an instructor at prestigious guitar camps across the country such as Tommy Emmanuel’s Guitar Camps, Crown of the Continent Guitar Festival, and the Rocky Mountain Guitar Camp.
- Featured artist and cover story, Fingerstyle Journal (2019)
- Launched FingerpickingLessons.com fingerstyle guitar lessons (2018)
- Featured instructor of cover story Learn from the Best (2018)
- Duet recordings include GuitarSmiths with John Standefer (2014), We Came to Play with John Standefer (2015), and Thumb Like It Hot with Buster B. Jones (2006)
- Solo recordings include Into the Trees (2010) and American Fingerstyle (2007)
- Publications and instructional courses include Fingerstyle Rolls: Banjo Rolls for Fingerstyle Guitar (2021), Travis-Picking Bootcamp (2020), Fingerstyle Toolbox (2020), Take 5: Boom Chick (2019), and 30 Fingerpicking Patterns You MUST Know (2019), among many others
- Recipient of the Harris Stanton Scholarship for Outstanding Guitarists, Berklee (2016)
- Yamaha Fellowship recipient, Crown Guitar Festival (2016)
- Recipient of full-tuition scholarship to Berklee (2014)
- Winner of the country category, Lee Ritenour’s Six String Theory Guitar Competition (2014)
- Awarded Recording of the Year, the National Thumbpickers Hall of Fame (2014)
- Awarded Best Emerging Artist Award, Deli Magazine (2012)
- Recipient of the Horizon Award, the National Thumbpickers Hall of Fame (2012)
- Winner of the country category and second place overall, Lee Ritenour’s Six String Theory Guitar Competition (2010)
- Winner of A Prairie Home Companion Talent Competition, A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor (2004)
- B.M., Berklee College of Music, professional music