Africana Studies courses include:
- The Sociology of Black Music in American Culture
- The Theology of American Popular Music
- Black Biographies: Music, Lives, and Meaning
- 12 Windows of American Music Culture
- In the Mix: Contemporary Composition Approaches in Discussion on Form, Aesthetics, and Style
These five classes are offered as core courses of the Africana Studies/Music and Society program. They may be coupled with elective courses offered throughout the Berklee curriculum.
In addition, the music and society minor offers an Africana Studies track for students to explore the disciplines of Africana studies, black music studies, cultural studies, and ethnomusicology.