Mark Walker (b. 1961) is a Grammy/Latin Grammy Award–winning drummer, a Grammy Award–nominated composer, and a renowned author and educator originally from Chicago. Currently a member of Cuban trumpeter Arturo Sandoval’s group, he is one of the only American drummers equally at home with authentic South American and Caribbean rhythms, straight-ahead jazz, rock, funk and studio drumming. Since 1989, he has performed around the world, touring extensively and/or recording with the group Oregon (with Ralph Towner), Paquito D’Rivera, Lyle Mays, Michel Camilo, Cesar Camargo Mariano, Randy Brecker, Steve Khan, Mike Mainieri, Andy Narell, Eliane Elias, NDR Bigband, WDR Big Band, the hr-Bigband, and the Caribbean Jazz Project. He released his critically acclaimed debut album in 2019 entitled You Get What You Give, featuring Paquito D’Rivera, Alain Mallet, Oscar Stagnaro and many others. Walker is a Yamaha, Paiste, Vic Firth, Remo, Meinl, and Prologix artist.
- Leader of Mark Walker and Friends
- Currently touring with Arturo Sandoval
- Member of Paquito D'Rivera (1989-present)
- Member of Oregon (1996-present)
- Extensive touring with Caribbean Jazz Project, Michel Camilo and Lyle Mays
- Played on two Grammy Award–winning recordings.
- Played on four Latin Grammy Award–winning recordings.
- Awarded a Grammy nomination in the category of best instrumental composition at the 50th annual Grammy Awards.
- Played on seven Grammy-nominated records.
- Played on a Latin Grammy–nominated record.
- B.P.S., Berklee Online (2019)
- M.M., University of Massachusetts Amherst (2022)
"I want students to broaden their horizons and open their minds. I want to train young musicians to be active in the world, forging their own paths and careers. I want them to do what's necessary to get to the truth and leave the world a better place than they found it."
"Working with some of the greatest musicians, arrangers, and composers in the world set the bar very high for me. There were so many valuable lessons, and there still are every day. I pass on what I have experienced directly in the field, with no exceptions."