Julie Kinscheck is a singer-songwriter, guitarist, recording artist, author, and worship leader. She has released four albums as an artist and recently published her first vocal training book, Vocal Training for Praise Singers.
Kinscheck hails from Ithaca, New York, and was a singer first who later discovered her passion for teaching. She enjoys mentoring talented aspiring vocalists to be their best, most skilled, expressive, and unique selves. She has spent many years performing professionally in, as well as leading, jazz and rock groups, country bands, a cappella groups, gospel and worship teams, and multiple solo gigs, and she has poured all of this into her teaching. She has received various songwriting awards and ran a thriving private studio for over 15 years before joining the Berklee faculty.
In addition to her Berklee degree, Kinscheck completed over two years of classical music studies at Oberlin Conservatory and subsequently pursued vocal pedagogy studies at New England Conservatory, Boston Conservatory, Gordon College, and Shenandoah University, before achieving her master's degree in vocal pedagogy at Westminster Choir College.
- Wrote and published the book Vocal Training for Praise Singers
- Wrote, sung, and produced singles from the Let My Light Shine and Grace with Jazz on Top albums
- Completed and released an album with award-winning a cappella gospel/jazz group Faith in Action
- Extensive international airplay with original releases including the charting country/jazz single “Coffee Song”
- Performances for thousands at the Wang Center, the Hatch Shell, and the World Trade Center, as well as national and international stages at Christian conferences in NYC, St. Louis, San Antonio, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Boston
- Presented vocal workshops and classes in Berlin, Germany, Washington D.C., Chicago, and Boston
- Leader and soprano of the Harmony Jewels (a cappella caroling band); leader, lead vocals and guitar for Julie Kinscheck & LIFLIGHT (original band); and in Moon Glow Jazz Duo
- Featured artist on Fox 25 News
- Appeared in Billboard Magazine and New England Performer Magazine, on the cover of Metronome Magazine, and in feature articles in the Lowell Sun and Billerica Minuteman and numerous podcasts, radio, and TV interviews.
- Winner of the Best Unsigned Songwriter Award from BMI, 1991
- Winner of the Boston Solo Artist Competition
- Various songwriting awards from the Billboard Song Competition and Nashville City Song Competition
- Recipient of the Jazz Master Scholarship and Cleo Laine Jazz Award from Berklee
- M.V.P., Westminster Choir College and Rider University
- B.M., Berklee College of Music, professional music
I enjoy mentoring talented aspiring vocalists to be their best, most skilled, expressive, and unique artist selves. I will help you build the confidence, skills and habits for a healthy, lifelong career as a singer.
Because I have performed professionally in so many different genres in all kinds of venues, I can help students not only in their favored genres of music, but also to be versatile. My formal education has given me practical tools, understanding vocal anatomy and function, while I have also taught students of all ages and career stages, and have diagnosed many challenges that I can specifically help students overcome in their singing. I have also experienced serious vocal damage along the way, and how to heal and avoid it in the future. My experience can help students have a lifelong career using their talent, skill, marketing, recording, and teaching opportunities to make a living in music.