Originally from Barcelona, Spain, Mar Fayos is a jazz vocalist whose music carries influences from Latin, pop, Mediterranean, and soul music. She has performed with accomplished artists such as Brazilian composer Toninho Horta, four-time Grammy-winning bassist Oscar Stagnaro, Mexican composer Armando Manzanero, and jazz vocalist Dee Dee Bridgewater, as well as singing at the Newport Folk Festival, performing at Teatro de la Zarzuela de Madrid with the Spanish producer Javier Limón, and working with Sony Latin U.S., among others.
A multi-award-winning vocalist, composer, producer of live music events, educator, and music activist, Fayos graduated with honors from Berklee College of Music in 2018 and from the Berklee Global Jazz Institute graduate program in 2021, where she studied with renowned jazz musicians such as Danilo Pérez, John Patitucci, Joe Lovano, Kenny Werner, Tia Fuller, and Kris Davis, among others. Last December, she released her debut album of original compositions, Mi Propia Religión, receiving acclaim from the international press.
Fayos currently works as a faculty member at Berklee College of Music, Bunker Hill Community College, and Escola Taller de Músics, as well as in her own private studio. She is currently on tour with Cirque du Soleil, performing as a lead vocalist of the show Alegría in South Korea and Japan, and performs actively in Spain, around Europe, and in the U.S.
- Performances with Dee Dee Bridgewater, Toninho Horta, Armando Manzanero, Mariza, Nella, and many others
- Recording in projects with Sony Latin U.S., Casa Limón, and Iberia Airlines
- Master classes in colleges and music schools in Spain, Peru, Mexico, Panama, and the U.S.
- Artist in residence in songwriting at Inspired by Berklee program
- Multi-award-winning independent artist
- Lead Vocalist at South Korea's and Japan's tour of the show Alegría by Cirque du Soleil (2022-2023)
- Selected as a semifinalist of the International Songwriting Competition in the category of world music (2021), Juventudes Musicales de España's National Competition in the jazz category (2020), Bucharest International Jazz Competition (2020), and Rootstock Music Festival (2020)
- Member of professional associations such as the Recording Academy/Grammys, Latin Grammys, BMI, SoundExchange, Mujeres de la Industria de la Música, and Associació de Músics de Jazz i Música Moderna de Catalunya (2020)
- First prize winner of the IBM Call for Code Global Challenge 2021, dedicated to offering solutions to social and humanitarian issues and supported by Howard University, Claremont Graduate University, United Nations for Human Rights, and the Linux Foundation, 2021
- Recipient of an award at Berklee's Songwriting Department Contest of Songs for Social Change, spring 2021
- Scholarship recipient to participate at Residencia Antonio Sánchez, performing in the National Auditorium of Mexico City together with jazz artists such as Antonio Sánchez, Miguel Zenón, Kenny Werner, and many others, 2020–2021
- Grant recipient to support the continuation of artistic training and development, awarded by Generalitat de Catalunya, 2020
- Full scholarship recipient from Berklee College of Music to complete a master's degree program in performance with a global jazz concentration, 2020–2021
- Recipient of the NAMM President's Innovation Award to attend the NAMM Show in 2020 and 2021 in California
- Recipient of scholarships to attend the LAMC Latin Alternative Music Conference 2019 and 2020 in New York City, and Latinx21 Video Challenge Award recipient in collaboration with LAMC 2020
- Recipient of the Mili Bermejo Scholarship Award from the Voice Department at Berklee, spring 2018
- Recipient of the Professional Music Academic Excellence Award from the Professional Music Department at Berklee, spring 2018
- Recipient of a scholarship from AiE Sociedad de Artistas Intérpretes o Ejecutantes de España and from the Berklee, 2016–2018
- M.M., Berklee College of Music, global jazz, 2021
- B.M., Berklee College of Music, performance with minor in contemporary conducting, 2018
- M.A., Universitat Pompeu Fabra, public relations, protocol and events management, 2016
- B.A., Universitat Pompeu Fabra, cultural journalism, 2015
"As an educator, my mission is to become the type of instructor that every student needs and deserves at that point in their learning processes. After 10 years of practice as a voice instructor, both in music academies and in colleges internationally, I understand the role of the private instructor as a mentor, able to support the student’s learning process, adapting to the class requirements and the necessities and interests of every learner."
"A good mentor should also be very empathic, organized, and proficient, and provide ordered and practical guidance, work materials, and demonstrations in both technical and stylistic approaches, which I work hard to offer to each of my students, no matter their semester level and expertise. This is the kind of instructor that every learner deserves in order to learn efficiently and receive the correct amount of support and motivation needed to succeed."
Being myself an active international performer and recording artist, composer, producer of live music events, educator, and activist, as well as a cultural journalist with a master's degree in PR and training in acting, artistic direction, and stage direction, I offer real perspectives and approaches to the work developed in the classroom and focus on providing bridges and opportunities to connect those learning experiences with each student's career development."