Minor in Dance
The dance minor offers students the opportunity to study a range of movement forms including jazzdance, salsa, African dance, hip-hop, tap dance, and ballet, and to investigate dance as a social, cultural, and historical document, which both reflects and impacts the culture that creates it. The dance minor requires coursework in the academic study of dance, creative process, somatics, and applied coursework in specific movement genres.
There are no entrance requirements for this minor.
- College students: Submit the Declaration of Major/Minor form to the Dance Division at Boston Conservatory. See detailed instructions in the Registration Guide.
- Conservatory students: submit the Declaration of Minor form to the Registrar's Office.
Upon completion of the dance minor, students will be able to:
- synthesize dance as an art form, including knowledge about dance techniques, various dance genres, dance production, and choreographic process;
- link the experiential knowledge gained through their work in applied classes with theoretical and historical knowledge;
- analyze dance from both a theoretical and historical framework, contextualize what they see, and analyze choreography and performance;
- apply the creative process within dance, informed by the study of dance improvisation, composition, and/or the collaborative process;
- understand the human body in motion, informed by the study of alignment, muscular use, effort, and breath in both somatic and technique courses; and
- apply skill in any of the movement genres offered through the minor, including jazzdance, hip-hop, ballet, tap dance, salsa, and African dance.
Curriculum and Courses
Core Course (one course; 3 credits):
- D-LT 1601: Introduction to Dance (3 credits)
Creative Process Elective: (choose one; 1 credit)
- D-ST 1204: Dance Improvisation 1 (1 credit)
- D-ST 1401: Dance Composition 1 (1 credit)
- D-ST 1701: Vocal Physical Connection (1 credit)
Somatics Elective (choose one; 1 credit)
- D-ST 1503: Gyrokinesis (1 credit)
- D-ST 1502: Floor Barre (1 credit)
- PSH-250: Yoga for Musicians 1 (1 credit)
Dance Genre Electives (choose seven classes; 7 credits):
- DANA-111: African Dance (1 credit)
- DANB-111: Ballet (1 credit)
- DANH-111: Beginning Hip-Hop Dance (1 credit)
- DANH-211: Intermediate Hip-Hop Dance (1 credit)
- DANJ-111: Jazzdance (1 credit)
- DANS-111: Salsa (1 credit)
- DANT-111: Beginning Tap Dance (1 credit)
- DANT-211: Intermediate Tap Dance (1 credit)
- DANU-111: Upside Down (1 credit)
- Any other course with the DANX prefix not already taken