With a faculty of more than 45 extraordinary musicians and teachers, the Harmony and Jazz Composition Department is home to three programs.
Harmony Core Studies
Studies in harmony are part of the core music curriculum that all Berklee students must complete.
Jazz Composition Major
Develop your aesthetic vision and technical chops within the contexts and practices of jazz.
Minor in the Theory of Jazz and Popular Song
Advance your music theory with specialized study in reharmonization, modal harmony, and other advanced harmonic concepts.
The Harmony and Jazz Composition Department's philosophy is to understand and learn from the past, evolve the present, and create the future. That philosophy is put into practice through Berklee's tradition of providing the fundamental techniques, concepts, and musical language associated with American popular song and jazz.
Our faculty members have performed with and written for many notable musicians including:
- Alissia Benveniste, Al Martino, Antonio Sanchez, Aretha Franklin, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
- BeBe Winans, Ben Vereen, Billy Maxted, Bill Pierce, Bob Brookmeyer
- the Cab Calloway Orchestra, Cassandra Wilson, Cecil McBee, Chaka Khan, Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah
- Danilo Pérez, Dave Brubeck, Dave Holland, Dave Liebman, Dave Weckl
- Eddie Daniels, Elmer Bernstein, the Either/Orchestra, Esperanza Spalding
- Frank Sinatra, the Four Tops, Fred Wesley, Freddie Hubbard
- George Duke, George Garzone, Gladys Knight, Gregory Hines, Gregory Porter
- Herb Pomeroy, Herbie Hancock, Hugh Masekela
- Ian Anderson
- Jethro Tull, Jack Walrath, the Jazz Composers Alliance, Jerry Bergonzi, Jennifer Holliday
- Kendrick Oliver, Kenny Clarke, Kenny Lattimore, the Klezmer Conservatory Band, the Klüvers Big Band
- Larry Coryell, Larry Goldings, Lettuce, Leela James, Lena Horn
- Mahmoud Ahmed, Marcus Belgrave, Marcus Printup, Maria Schneider, Marsha Ambrosius
- Nona Hendryx, New York Voices
- The O’Jays, Oleta Adams
- Paquito D'Rivera, Paul Horn, Pee Wee Ellis, Philip Lassiter, the Platters
- Ran Blake, Rakalam Bob Moses, Ramsey Lewis, Raul Midón, Rebecca Parris
- Sam Rivers, the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra, Sheila E, Sheila Jordan, Soulive
- Tal Farlow, Terri Lyne Carrington, the Temptations
- The U.S. Navy Band Commodores
- Valerie Simpson, Vinnie Colaiuta
- The WDR Big Band, Wynton Marsalis
- Yolanda Adams