In this capstone project class, instructor and classmates review and advise each class member at every step during the planning and production of multiple fully professional, commercially viable recordings created “in-the-box.” Projects include song selection, beat making, vocal recording and advanced audio processing. Students are expected to produce multiple compositions which include: recording vocals and instruments, creating and arranging music and/or sonic signatures, editing, and mixing. Emphasis is placed on creative and technical aspects of quality in production, and commercially viable market targeting.
Through classroom experience, hands-on project work, and exposure to resident and visiting industry professionals, students:
- develop an informed and critical understanding of how commercial music integrates with the music industry;
- gain a thorough knowledge of the creative, technical and entrepreneurial tools used in the music industry;
- learn to define brand quality and creative vision, and to apply those criteria to your work and to the work of others;
- refine your communication, time management, productivity and networking in the context of multidisciplinary projects and productions; and
- learn to create, market, distribute and promote competitive commercially viable projects individually and collaboratively.