Fully immerse yourself in piano, keyboard, and Hammond organ performance. Develop your skills in improvisation, performance, chord theory ensemble playing, and synthesizer technology through this dynamic workshop. You’ll be exposed to a variety of styles, including jazz, hip-hop, rock, R&B, pop, funk, Latin, and fusion.
2023 Program Information
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable)|
|Payment deadline:||July 1|
|Move-in:||2023 dates coming soon|
|Move-out:||2023 dates coming soon|
15 years and older
How do I enroll?
Take your first steps to joining the Berklee community
- Submit your registration. Students begin by submitting their registration or application online. If applicable, you may need to submit additional supporting materials as well.
- Make your tuition payment. All programs have limited capacity, so complete your full tuition payment, and reserve your space in the program.
- Request housing. If you require housing accommodations, complete the housing agreement form in the "Next Steps" tab of your application portal.
Once you're registered you can explore parent and student resources.
What is the curriculum like?
At the workshop, you will participate in several core classes throughout the week.
- Performance workshop: Learn style-specific chord voicings, rhythmic studies, technique, and chart reading, among other topics.
- Ensembles: This will be an instructor-guided forum for students to play with an ensemble.
Students will also attend additional electives throughout the week. Electives for 2022 are not yet available, but the following list of electives offered in 2019 will give you a sense of what to expect:
Contemporary Styles Workshop
Contemporary Keyboard History
Synthesizer Performance and Technology
Jazz Improvisation Master Class
Hammond Master Class
New Age Music Improvisation
What is the schedule?
Below is a sample of a typical day in the program.
|8:00 a.m.–8:50 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m.||Electives|
|11:00 a.m.–12:50 p.m.||Electives|
|1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m.||Lunch|
|2:00 p.m.–3:50 p.m.||Performance Workshop or Ensemble|
|5:00 p.m.–6:50 p.m.||Dinner|
|7:00 p.m.–8:45 p.m.||Jam Sessions|
Schedule subject to change
What are the performance opportunities?
Students have the ability to participate in open jam sessions each evening. There will be multiple jam sessions happening simultaneously, focusing on different styles.
The program will culminate on Friday with students performing the repertoire they have been rehearsing in their ensembles.
What are the requirements to attend?
All students 15 and older with six months of playing experience are welcome to attend. Basic knowledge of triads, seventh chords, and note identification in treble and bass clefs is required. The curriculum is geared toward low- and intermediate-level to advanced-level performance.
What do I need to bring?
All necessary musical equipment will be provided throughout the program.
If you intend to stay in the Berklee residence halls while participating in the program, please also review what to bring for your room on the housing page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out this FAQ with important information and answers to common questions about Summer Programs.