Push your limits as an electronic musician, and develop your skills in sound design, production, and electronic digital instrument (EDI) performance. Over the course of this workshop, you have the opportunity to explore everything from the foundations of sound synthesis and sampling to sound design for picture and video games, working with modular and vintage synthesizers or the latest in performance controllers. Based on knowledge level and experience, you will select coursework to tailor the curriculum to your interests.
2023 Program Information Coming Soon
|Program dates:||2023 dates coming soon|
|Registration fee:||$50 (nonrefundable)|
|Payment deadline:||May 1|
|Move-in:||2023 dates coming soon|
|Move-out:||2023 dates coming soon|
|Age range:||15 years and older|
How do I enroll?
Take your first steps to joining the Berklee community
- Submit your registration. Students begin by submitting their registration or application online. If applicable, you may need to submit additional supporting materials as well.
- Make your tuition payment. All programs have limited capacity, so complete your full tuition payment, and reserve your space in the program.
- Request housing. If you require housing accommodations, complete the housing agreement form in the "Next Steps" tab of your application portal.
Once you're registered you can explore parent and student resources.
What is the curriculum like?
Throughout the workshop, several concurrent breakout sessions are offered in each time slot. You can self-select which session to attend in any given time slot over the course of the workshop, space allowing. Offerings range from introductory to intermediate levels of skill and preparation.
The following list of classes gives you a sense of what to expect:
- Producing EDM with Ableton Live
- Creative Sound Design Techniques
- Sound Design and Csound
- Sampling Workshop 1
- Sampling Workshop 2
- Sound Design with Modular Synthesizers
- Electronic Music Mixing Techniques
- Creative DSP for Free
- Modular Synthesizer Performance Workshop
- An Introduction to Game Audio
- Performing Live with Ableton Push
- Expressive Performance with MPE and the Roli Seaboard Rise
- Introduction to Circuit-Bending
- Sound Design for VR
- Sound Design in Electronic Dance Music
- Introduction to DJing
- Composing and Performing with Ableton Live
- New Ways to Play
- Digital DJ Techniques
- Music of the Body and Mind
All breakout sessions will take place in Berklee's labs and studios. Our state-of-the-art facilities use Ableton Live as well as MAX for Live, Logic, and Native Instruments Komplete.
Other opportunities include the following:
- Electronic performance controller lab
- Modular synthesizer open lab time
- Turntable open lab time
- Ableton Live tutorial sessions
- Electronic performance open mic
What is the schedule?
|8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:15 a.m.–10:45 a.m.||Keynote Presentation|
|11:00 a.m.–12:45 p.m.||Breakout Sessions|
|1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.||Lunch|
|2:00 p.m.–3:45 p.m.||Breakout Sessions|
|4:00 p.m.–5:45 p.m.||Breakout Sessions|
|6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.||Dinner|
|7:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.||Electronic Open Mics or Open Lab Time|
Schedule subject to change
What are the performance opportunities?
Students have the opportunity to perform in multiple open mics throughout the program.
What are the requirements to attend?
All students 15 and older with some background in electronic production are welcome to attend.
Please note: This program has limited capacity. Submission of registration materials alone does not guarantee participation in the program. You will secure your spot by paying in full. When the program capacity has been reached, registrants who have not paid in full will be placed on a waitlist.
What do I need to bring?
All necessary musical equipment and technology will be provided throughout the program. You may want to bring portable media storage to save the work you create throughout the week. Participants are welcome to bring songs they have completed and may elect to bring laptops for their review.
If you intend to stay in the Berklee residence halls while participating in the program, please also review what to bring for your room on the housing page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out this FAQ with important information and answers to common questions about Summer Programs.